Friday, January 16, 2009

Why I Do This

When you look at the banner my loving wife created for me, you will see the phrase, "For my body is not my own". Some may wonder what that means and I would like to take a little time to explain.

In 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 the Bible says this:

19. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

20. you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

That is what I mean by that phrase.

I think that Neil Anderson, a minister who's daily devotion I read says it best:
In 2 Corinthians 5:1-4 Paul referred to the believer's body as a tent, the temporary dwelling place of the soul. Using his illustration, I must confess that my tent pegs are coming up, my poles are sagging, and my seams are becoming frayed! At my age I'm just glad that there's more to me than the disposable earth suit I walk around in.

You don't exist for your body; it exists for you. That's why Paul said, "I beat my body and make it my slave" (1 Corinthians 9:27 NIV ). In order to fulfill your purpose for being here, you need to manage your body well through exercise, balanced diet and adequate rest.


So that is why that phrase is there, and that is why I keep on keeping on with my weightloss.

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online